A woman suffered serious first degree burns to both wrists in a fire at a hair salon shortly after 9am this morning.

A spokesman for the Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service (BFRS) said the blaze broke out when a staff member poured a flammable liquid over a bathroom sink in close proximity to a burning candle.

The incident occurred at Maxilaus Hair Salon on Friswell’s Road in Pembroke.

Fortunately, the fire was out when firefighters arrived. There were three other adults and a child in the salon at the time who did not require hospital treatment.

The emergency services personnel arrived to find the occupants outside the building, which was completely logged with smoke.

The woman who suffered burns was transported to the hospital’s Emergency Department.

“All other occupants were assessed for respiratory discomfort”, but the spokesman said they did not wish to be transported to the hospital for treatment.