News Release: HAMILTON, Bermuda – As Bermuda approaches the holiday weekend, the Water Safety Council issued the following saftey reminders.
Michael Weeks, Chairman of the Water Safety Council said: “As we are fully into the summer season we should be focusing on water safety, while still being able to have an enjoyable time with family and friends.
“On Sunday June 20, 2021 a majority of COVID regulations will be lifted. However, we are urging the public to please do their part in continuing to be safe and responsible. As we approach the holiday weekend, here are some safety tips for mariners and Jet Ski operators:
· Check weather conditions prior to planning your trip or outing.
· Make sure the condition of your vessel is seaworthy safe for passengers and crew.
· Give your float plan to Bermuda Radio or a responsible individual so that persons are aware of your location.
· Check to ensure your VHF Radio is working (channel 27 to Bermuda Radio for radio check).
· Make sure all required safety equipment is on board e.g. Navigational lights, lifejackets, life rings, flares, etc.
· Watch your speed and wake.
· Be courteous to other mariners.
· Please refrain from operating all marine vessels while under the influence of alcohol.
“Lastly, I ask all mariners to be vigilant of your surroundings at all times. All of Bermuda can have an enjoyable time on the water while boating or swimming, however Water Safety must be a number one priority.”
As a note, the Department of Marine and Ports, Boats and Moorings Section located in the Old Paget Post Office also provides important information for the general public with regards to Water Safety.
All marine incidents should be reported to Marine Police (Channel 16) and Bermuda Radio (Channel 16 and Channel 27).