The Bermuda Police Service (BPS) would neither confirm or deny reports reaching Bermuda Real, that the 26-year-old man arrested in connection with that fatal boat crash in Hamilton Harbour has skipped the island.

Tuesday, August 1st will mark two months since the fatal collision that claimed the life of a New Zealand woman and injured two others.

The man arrested was subsequently released on police bail with strict conditions. Police have yet to say whether those stipulations included checking in to the police station weekly, or daily and whether or not his passport was forfeited.

A number of sources have told Bermuda Real that the young man reportedly left Bermuda shortly after his release. One source stated that he allegedly had more than one passport to travel.

When asked by Bermuda Real if his alleged disappearance is the reason why the young man in question has yet to be formally charged, a police spokesman said “no comment”. Asked when was the last time he was seen by police, the reply, once again was “no comment”.

Four weeks ago police would neither confirm or deny whether or not a file has been sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions. Another four weeks later there has still been no comment on this case by police.

The fatal boat crash occurred in Hamilton Harbour near the Ferry Terminal, on the night of June 1st, and claimed the life of 62-year-old Mary Elizabeth McKee. Her 69-year-old husband and another man operating the Zodiac, a 26-year-old male visitor from the UK, also sustained serious injuries. They were in Bermuda for the America’s Cup.

Mr McKee was subsequently discharged from the hospital, but the young man from the UK was airlifted overseas for further treatment.

The 26-year-old local resident who was driving the 17ft centre console vessel that crashed into the 9ft Zodiac inflatable carrying the three visitors, was arrested on suspicion of operating a watercraft while impaired and detained for a few days.

Police later confirmed that he passed the alco-analyzer test before he was released on bail with strict conditions. Whether or not he was ordered to forfeit his passport remains unknown.

A forensic pathologist was also flown in to assist with the investigation. Since then, police have spoken with several witnesses. They have also collected CCTV footage, but to date, no formal charges have been laid.

The investigation is being headed up by Acting Detective Chief Inspector Dave Greenidge of the Criminal Investigation Department.

The accident made international news headlines in New Zealand and other countries represented in the 35th America’s Cup in Bermuda’s Great Sound.

One newspaper article said the “Kiwi woman” killed and her husband, “a passionate sailor who gets out on the water regularly”, were “big supporters of Emirates Team New Zealand and spent a lot of time sailing in the Mediterranean or the Caribbean”.

The BPS spokesman did say that there have been a number of requests for an update on the police investigation by members of the media in New Zealand.

To date, no update has been provided to them or Bermuda Real.