- The following article was submitted by Dr Muriel Wade-Smith, PhD this morning, Sunday, June 23, 2019
Greetings Parents, Teachers, Students and all who support a fair, just and equitable system of education for the Public School System.
- When children don’t learn, systems are deficient
- The race of the child does not tell us anything about the child’s mental capacity to succeed in school
- Socioeconomic status is not a barrier to learning, if the student is exposed to good teaching
- Racism and bigotry are negative factors in teaching and learning
- Our children are not succeeding mainly because the masses of them have been abandoned
- The courts can mandate physical desegregation , but not an educational environment that is high quality and nurturing
How much do we care about the masses of the children in this nation?
In a few days, many of our parents of children in the public school system will get notices indicating hat their children have to attend summer school for a period of three weeks.
To add insult to injury, the students will be required to wear their school uniforms during three weeks of their summer holidays.
Isn’t it enough pain and punishment that the students have failed? Why publicly embarrass them for their failure?
Are the students the only ones who have failed?
How about the parents? Have they failed to provide the needed support so that the student could enjoy success? What are the reasons for students failing?
How about the teachers? Have they provided an educational environment that is high quality and nurturing? Is there an attitude of not caring about whether our children pass or not? Teachers will still get paid. Teachers have their qualifications, if students don’t want to learn, that’s their business. Is there a place of resignation that says at 16 they will drop out anyway?
Interestingly enough, I have never seen any students from the private schools in Hamilton in their school uniforms during summer holidays. Are we sending a message that says only children in the public schools fail? Are we sending a message that says that none of the children who attend private school fail?
It’s not just the children failing? Should teachers and parents be made to wear uniforms also? Why are we being so oppressive to our young people?
Is the education and general welfare of the masses of our children a high public policy priority?
PARENTS STOP THIS OPPRESSION METED OUT TO YOUR CHILDREN! DON’T LET YOUR CHILDREN WEAR THEIR SCHOOL UNIFORMS TO SUMMER SCHOOL!
TOGETHER, LET’S DETERMINE AS PARENTS, TEACHERS AND STUDENTS TO DO A BETTER JOB AND WORK TOWARDS PASSING IN ALL OF OUR SUBJECTS IN THE UPCOMING SCHOOL YEAR!
DON’T LET YOUR CHILDREN WEAR THEIR SCHOOL UNIFORMS TO SUMMER SCHOOL!