News Release: Hamilton, Bermuda – The Ministry of Health has announced that commencing on November 6, the seasonal influenza (flu) vaccine will be available to the public from the Department of Health, at a cost of $15 per shot (for both adults and children).
Persons over the age of 65 years will receive the seasonal flu vaccine free-of-charge.
The flu vaccine will be available at the Hamilton Health Centre, through ‘Flu Express’ and at the offices of most private physicians.
Health Centre Schedule
Location: Hamilton Health Centre (Ground Floor)
Date: Mondays to Fridays
Time: 8:30 am – 11:30 am
‘Flu Express’ Schedule
The Department of Health will also be offering influenza immunization in the community through ‘Flu Express’. The ‘Flu Express’ will enable people to drive to a designated site and receive the flu vaccine while waiting in their car, without having to get out. This will make it easier for some people to access the vaccine.
Location: The Warwick Post Office (under the Rubber Tree), 70 Middle Road, Warwick
Date: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 – Time: 10am – 2pm
Location: Penno’s Wharf, St George’s (Enter via Tiger Bay Gardens)
Date: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 – Time: 10am – 2pm
Location: Hamilton Health Centre (Car Park), 67 Victoria Street, Hamilton
Date: Saturday, November 16, 2019 – Time: 10 am – 2pm
Who should attend the ‘Flu Express’
- Persons aged 50 years and older
- Healthy adults who are in close contact with the elderly, infants and children, and any persons with chronic medical conditions
- Children aged 10 years and older
- Healthcare workers, caregivers and essential service workers
- Persons that have received the flu shot each year
- Persons who are clinically obese with a BMI greater than 40
- Persons with chronic health problems that are at risk of complications from the flu, e.g. diabetics, asthmatics and those with heart disease. They should inform their doctor when they have been vaccinated.
Flu injections will only be offered at the “Flu Express” on the specified dates, to individuals in good health without active infections.
You will not be given the shot if:
- You have allergies to eggs, chicken products, or any component of the vaccine
- You have had a reaction to the flu shot before
- You have a fever or are unwell
Please dress comfortably to allow the nurse easy access to the injection site in the upper arm. Please have the correct amount of cash ready during your attendance at the ‘Flu Express’. (Credit/Debit card facilities will not be available at the ‘Flu Express’ sites).