The Ministry of Health has confirmed reports reaching Bermuda Real more than a week ago that the deadly coronavirus has hit Westmeath Residential and Nursing Home.
In a statement released on Tuesday night, a spokeswoman said that “two staff members and one resident” tested positive for COVID-19.
All residents and staff at the Pembroke facility on Pitts Bay Road are due to be tested for the virus – starting today.
The first case at the home was identified on April 10 and the victim was quarantined.
“All close contacts were also quarantined. Guidance was given by the Ministry of Health to the home to quarantine four members of staff who had been in close contact with that individual,” she added.
“All staff have been monitoring their temperature daily, wearing a mask throughout their shifts and wearing work uniform during working hours only.”
Another case was identified on April 14 and the third on April 20.
The Bermuda Health Council would “assist the home with contingency planning” and that “contact tracing is ongoing”.
Health Minister Kim Wilson noted that the Government had “conducted tracing where appropriate and offered further guidance to the home”.
“The ministry also provides personal protection equipment training and PPE supplies,” she said.
“My team has been working diligently with all care homes on the island to control the spread of the virus among our most vulnerable.”
As of April 21, the spokeswoman said there were 31 cases of COVID-19 associated with care homes in Bermuda.
- Top Feature Photo Courtesy of TNN