Mirror Online: LONDON, England – A surfer was killed by a giant 4.5 metre shark after hero beachgoers desperately battled to save the mans life.
The man, in his 50s, had been surfing at Tuncurry Beach, near Forster, in Australia, when he was bitten on his upper right thigh.
He was then dragged ashore where passers-by raced to his aide – including a retired paramedic who was on the beach.
But despite these valiant efforts, the man sadly died from the attack.
North West Wales ambulance tweeted: “Despite the best efforts of paramedics and bystanders at the scene, the man could not be resuscitated.”
According to shark scientists who inspected images of the man’s wound, the shark is likely to have measures approximately 4.5m.
On Monday, two tagged sharks – measuring 2.5m and 2.8m – were detected along the same shore, but neither are believed to be responsible for the attack, reports news.com.au.
NSW Ambulance Inspector Joshua Smyth said: “Bystanders, including a retired paramedic, did a valiant job pulling the patient from the water and commencing CPR before paramedics arrived.
“These people should be commended for their brave actions.
“Our sympathies are with the man’s family at this difficult time.”
Local lifesaver Brian Wilcox said the attack was “pretty unprecedented”, adding “I can’t recall ever having a shark attack in this area.”
A drone had been circling the area and sharks had been spotted, he told ABC.
Tuncurry Beach and others nearby will remain closed for at least 24 hours.
MidCoast Council posted on their Facebook page: “We have closed all beaches from Black Head to One Mile at Forster.
“This decision has been made based on advice from Surf Life Saving NSW officials.
“We will update here once beaches are reopened.”