- Consult broadly on the topic of sport and persons with disabilities
- Create an Action Plan which identifies steps required to heighten awareness and increase participation in sports and recreation by persons with disabilities
- Undertake a public relations exercise to raise the profile of Bermuda’s para athletes competing at the international level
- Establish enhanced opportunities for sporting engagement amongst Bermuda’s community of disabled persons
- Promote the accommodation and integration of persons with disabilities into mainstream athletic and other sports competitions
The Minister noted that Bermuda’s National Sports Policy states: “There should be no barriers to participating in sport and recreation or to developing an individual’s skills to achieve their sporting potential.”
“It will be wonderful if we can bring sports into the lives of more of our persons with disabilities. But the true measure of how we as a people have embraced persons with disabilities is to achieve the fifth objective: the accommodation and integration of persons with disabilities into mainstream athletic and other sports competitions,” he said.