CMC: PORT AU PRINCE, Haiti – The Haitian Government yesterday announced that assassinated President Jovenel Moise will be buried on July 23.
It will be held in the city of Cap-Haïtien, north of here, where the 53-year-old former head of state was born.
Moise was gunned down by armed men, believed to be former Colombian army officials on July 7 at his private residence. His wife, Martine, was injured during the shooting and is now recuperating in a hospital in Miami. She is expected to return here for the funeral after earlier this week saying that the pain of his death “will never pass”.The authorities here have detained at least 28 men, including two Haitian-Americans, in connection with the killing. Haitian police have also accused 63-year-old Miami-based Haitian doctor, Christian Emmanuel Sanon, of being a mastermind of the plot and having “political objectives”.
Interim Prime Minister Claude Joseph said 24 police officers attached to Moise’s security detail were ordered to report for questioning, adding this investigation will run its course.
“If you want to assassinate me, come for me. The most important thing for me is the investigation,” he said.
The Government said that pre-funeral activities will take place on July 21 and that books of condolence are now available at Haitian embassies and consulates for the public to sign.