News Release: St George’s, Bermuda, June 27, 2019 – Skyport & Aecon Call for Bermudian Artwork for New Terminal St George’s
Bermuda Skyport and Aecon Airport Constructors are calling for Bermudian artists to submit works of art to be displayed in the new passenger terminal building scheduled to open in the summer of 2020.
A Request for Proposal (RFP) was issued today with a concept submission date of September 4, 2019 and organisers are seeking:
- To identify local artists to create and produce unique pieces to be displayed through thepassenger terminal building
- To encourage fresh, contemporary concepts
- To bring awareness to the travelling public of the culture and arts community of Bermuda
- To promote thoughtful, innovative and original design, evoking a Bermudian “Sense of Place”
The RFP is open to all Bermudian artists, working individually or in collaboration. Artists can propose artworks in any scale, scope and medium. Artists can also submit as many original art concepts as they wish. Work must be original by the artist named in the submission and be the property of the proponent.
Frank Ross, Executive Advisor, Infrastructure, Aecon Construction, says: “As the construction portion is coming to a close on the passenger terminal building, we are excited to begin the process to secure artwork for the building. Incorporating original Bermudian artwork is imperative to us and we look forward to viewing the submissions.”
The artwork will be judged by a selection committee consisting:
- Mr Gary L Phillips, OBE, Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur; Chairman, BermudaNational Gallery
- Dr Ashley Dunn, Assistant Curator in the Department of Drawings and Prints at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Ms Julie Sylvester renowned international curator
- Ms Nicole Golden, Owner of Urban Cottage in Hamilton, Bermuda
Skyport and Aecon are offering up to 12 Shadow Box locations to be designed and developed in the new terminal. The compensation per shadow box is $3,000, inclusive of materials.
Submissions must include the following:
- Name of the artist or art group- Contact address, phone number and email address
- Proof of citizenship
- A statement about your approach to this opportunity, how you see the work situated and why you would like your work featured in the airport
- Brief biography of artist
- Photos and/or sketches of the proposed art piece
- Up to three images of previous work, with corresponding image list
Interested artists are to submit one electronic version of their proposal and a $25 submission fee payable to the organization of their choice including Bermuda Arts Centre, Bermuda Society of the Arts, Masterworks and the National Museum of Bermuda.
A briefing session will be held on July 18 at 12pm at the Bermuda Society of Arts located at City Hall. All interested artists are invited and encouraged to attend.
The deadline to submit work is Wednesday, September 4, 2019. For more information, please visit: https://bermudaairport.com/media/Skyport_PublicArt_RFP_June2019.pdf