News Release: HAMILTON, Bermuda – The Department for National Drug Control (DNDC), under the auspices of the Ministry of Legal Affairs and Constitutional Reform, and in conjunction with treatment agencies across the island, celebrates National Recovery Month.
This is the 33rd annual observance spearheaded by NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals in the USA. The DNDC will use this month to educate Bermuda about substance use treatment, which can enable those with a substance use disorder to live a healthy and rewarding life. The observance reinforces the positive message that behavioral health is essential to overall health, prevention works, treatment is effective, and people can and do recover.
There are hundreds of Bermudians whose lives have been transformed through recovery. Since these successes often go unnoticed by the broader population, Recovery Month 2022provides a vehicle for everyone to celebrate these accomplishments. Each September, millions of prevention, treatment, and recovery programs and facilities around the world celebrate National Recovery Month. They speak about the gains made by those in recovery and share their success stories with their neighbors, friends, and colleagues. In doing so, thisincreases awareness and furthers a greater understanding about the diseases of mental and substance use disorders.
In its 33rdyear, Recovery Month highlights the achievements of individuals who have reclaimed their lives in long-term recovery and honors the treatment and recovery service providers who make recovery possible. It also promotes the message that recovery in all of its forms is possible and encourages citizens to take action to help expand and improve the availability of effective prevention, treatment, and recovery services for those in need.
This year’s Recovery Month theme is “Recovery is for Everyone: Every person, Every Family, Every Community,”
This month we want to celebrate those individuals and their families who are committed to living a healthy and drug free lifestyle.
The Department of National Drug Control would like to take this time to thank our treatment and recovery partners:
▪ Bermuda Addiction Certification Board (BACB)
▪ Bermuda Assessment and Referral (BARC)- Dept. of Court Services
▪ Drug Treatment Court
▪ Mental Health Court
▪ Mid-Atlantic Wellness Institute
▪ Nu-Serenity Counseling Services
▪ Bermuda Professional Counselling Services – DUI Programme
▪ FOCUS Counselling Services
▪ Life Skills and Counselling – Dept. of Child and Family Services
▪ Nelson Bascome Substance Abuse Treatment Facility ( Men’s and Women’s Programmes)- Dept. for National Drug Control
▪ Pathways Bermuda
▪ Right Living House ( Dept. of Corrections)
▪ Salvation Army ( Harbor Light and Community Life Skills Programmes)
▪ Turning Point Substance Abuse Programme ( BHB)
▪ Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)
▪ Narcotics Anonymous (NA)
The Department for National Drug Control
Suite 304, Melbourne House
11 Parliament Street
Hamilton HM 12