Retail sales, custom duty declarations by returning residents from overseas and imports from online shopping increased during the month of March this year.
According to figures released in the March 2020 Retail Sales Index, Minister for the Cabinet Office, Wayne Furbert said: “After adjusting for the retail sales rate of inflation, measured at 0.7 percent in March, the overall volume of local retail sales increased 3.5 percent.
“Meanwhile, total selected overseas declarations increased 3.0 percent in March 2020 compared to March 2019. Overseas declarations includes imports received via courier, residents through the airport, households by sea and the post office,” he added.
Highlighted below are the March 2020 year-over-year changes for each of the seven local retail sectors:
- Food Stores’ sales volume increased 24.2%
- Liquor Stores’ sales volume increased 14.3%
- Building Material Stores’ sales volume increased 15.3%
- All Other Store Types’ sales volume weakened 5.4%
- Service Stations’ sales volume contracted 11.7%
- Motor Vehicle Stores’ sales volume fell 36.7%
- Apparel Stores’ sales volume decreased 62.6%
The March 2020 Retail Sales Index publication is available online at https://www.gov.bm/retail-sales-index-rsi.