News Release: HAMILTON, Bermuda – Celebrations for Her Majesty The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee are currently underway.
In the UK, The Platinum Jubilee Central Weekend takes place from June 2 – 5.
Throughout the Commonwealth and the Overseas Territories there are number of events planned, and here at home, the Cabinet Office reminded of some of the activities taking place to mark this significant occasion.
Events are as follows:
- On June 2, Her Excellency the Governor, Rena Lalgie, will host the Queen’s Birthday and Platinum Jubilee Reception at Government House;
- On June 3, Her Excellency the Governor, Rena Lalgie, and the Premier, the Hon. David Burt, will plant two trees to mark the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee;
- On June 4, at 10am, the annual Queen’s Birthday Parade will take place along Front Street and will feature marching units from the RBR, the RBR Band & Corps of Drums, the Bermuda Police Service the RBR Junior Leaders and the Bermuda Sea Cadet Corps. Her Excellency the Governor will also present representatives of the uniformed services with the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Medal;
- On June 5, at 10am, a Service of Thanksgiving will be held at the Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity, Hamilton;
- On June 9, a special Platinum Jubilee Commemorative Stamp Edition will be released by the Bermuda Post Office; and
- On June 12, St Peter’s Church, St. George’s will host a Service at 11.00 am, to mark The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee and the Tenth Anniversary of the Intituling of St Peter’s Church as “Their Majesties Chappell”.
A special note regarding the annual Queen’s Birthday Parade, commuters are advised that there will be traffic restrictions in place starting early Saturday morning. The public is encouraged to come out and celebrate the Platinum Jubilee Parade honouring Her Majesty, which will feature the pomp and pageantry of the marching units.