Premier David Burt put an end to speculation as to whether or not he will meet with protest demonstrators who plan to meet at the Cabinet Building later this morning (June 29).
In a statement released last night, Mr Burt said the Cabinet meeting will be put on pause to see the demonstrators opposed to the island’s current restrictions against the global COVID-19 pandemic.
The protest, organised by a group of “concerned citizens”, is set to get underway at 11:30am and run through to 2:30pm.
The Premier also noted that he had heard from organisers last week requesting him to receive documents outside the Cabinet Building today.
“The organisers wrote to me last week indicating their intention to assemble peacefully in the grounds of the Cabinet Office and to ask if I would be available to receive documentation from them at 11:30 am,” said Mr Burt.
“Peaceful protest and assembly is the cornerstone of a free society, and I respect the rights of those who intend to be there tomorrow as part of this peaceful gathering,” said Mr Burt.
“The organisers have asked that the government consider their submissions, and I can assure them that we will do so.”