Less than a week after that early morning sexual assault on Fairylands Road, police have a suspect in custody this weekend.

Speaking at a news conference on Saturday (Sept 26) Detective Superintendent Nicholas Pedro, Officer in Charge of the Crime Division, said a 37-year-old man was arrested overnight on Friday, and he remains in custody.

He also confirmed that the alleged assailant was staking out potential victims prior to attacking a 31-year-old woman on her way to work on Sunday, September 20.

“What we have learned so far however, is that we believe that the suspect appeared to have been looking for victims in the City of Hamilton prior to the attack on the 31-year-old lady on Fairylands Road,” said Mr Pedro.

“We are asking anyone who thought they may have seen someone fitting the description of the suspect to please come forward and speak to us. We have seen some movement on CCTV that gives us cause to think that this may very well be the case.”

He also appealed to anyone who may have seen the suspect on the day in question, or anyone who may have been targeted, to “come forward in confidence to the Vulnerable Persons Unit”, by contacting Acting Detective Inspector Sharnita Tankard onĀ 247-1739, 717-0709, 295-0011, or the confidential Crime Stoppers hotline on 800-8477.

The OIC also stated that the feedback received after police published images of the suspect was very helpful in bringing the suspect into custody.