The Bermuda Police Service continues to advise members of the public to be vigilant regarding deceptive social media accounts impersonating Government officials.
These fake social media profiles are being used to contact individuals and make demands of money for alleged Government initiatives and proposals.
In one recent example a request alluded to the Bermuda Government offering grants and if persons were interested, they should send $700 to an undisclosed location via FedEx and in return, they would receive a $50,000 grant.
Residents should be aware that this is a scam and are advised to verify any online messages they may receive claiming to be from a member of parliament – by calling the Government of Bermuda on 295-5151.
Ask to speak with a Department of Communications representative regarding the supposed online proposal or initiative before divulging any personal information.
Anyone with any information regarding the individual(s) creating or using these fraudulent social media accounts is asked to contact the main police telephone number 295-0011 or the independent and confidential Crime Stoppers hotline 800-8477.
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)