Preliminary inquiries into the island’s most recent cold blooded murder indicate that there may have been two motorcyclists who chased down their victim before he was gunned down and left in the street for dead.
Reports reaching Bermuda Real say the 18-year-old teenager sustained a fatal gunshot wound to the head.
His identity will be released pending notification of his next of kin.
His lifeless body was found lying in the street around 6:30am yesterday by a member of the publich who was out exercising near the roundabout on the roadway leading to Clearwater Beach in St David’s.
Police say he was gunned down around 11pm Tuesday night.
Assistant Commissioner of Police Antoine Daniels said: “The Bermuda Police Service takes these incidents extremely seriously.
“We’ve put a lot of effort and energy into trying to catch and convict the persons committing these very serious crimes.”
This latest shooting was the fifth firearms incident of the year, in what Mr Daniels said had become “a reoccurring theme” of gun violence in Bermuda, with 17 confirmed shootings last year and three deaths.
“We’ve come to a time now where we have to move away from turning on each other and we have to actually turn to each other and provide support in these very challenging and difficult times,” he said.
Acting Detective Inspector Jason Smith, of the Serious Crime Unit issued an appeal for anyone who heard gunshots or who saw two motorcycles in the area at about 11pm Tuesday night to contact police.
“There may be members of our community who have that information and that’s critical — very, very critical — to how we focus our investigation,” he said.
“All information is important, all information is welcome and we will treat that information with strict confidence.
“There was forensic evidence recovered at the scene to confirm the male was shot near where his body was found.
“We are appealing for anyone who may have heard any suspicious noises or seen anyone acting in a suspicious manner in the area of Tommy Fox Road or near the Gulfstream residences at Southside between 11pm on Tuesday, April 5, and the early hours of today to please get in contact with us.
“Yet another young man has been taken away from us and again by means of a senseless act of violence,” he added.
“I urge the public to come forward and tell us what you know, to not only help bring whomever is responsible to justice, but also to bring closure to the family of this young man, who are left to mourn his passing.”
Newly appointed Minister of National Security, Michael Weeks, extended condolences to the young man’s family and appealed for anyone with information that could help to come forward.
“This is all our issue and whatever people want to do for healing like prayer or meditation can do that, but we have to try to heal our country and it’s not going to be a one-stream approach.
“We as a community have to come together no matter where we are.”
“I need to sit down with all the stakeholders as soon as possible so we can plot a course forward together,” he added.
“This has been a sad and traumatising day for our island. We’ve lost yet another young man to the senseless act of gun violence.
“I send my deepest and heartfelt condolences to the family of the victim.
“I have young sons of my own, so I can absolutely empathise with this family’s loss of their loved one. This has been a very concerning and active few days of violence and antisocial behaviour.
“As Minister of National Security, I am committed to doing all that I can to help curb the violence in our community, and I will be meeting with the Gang Violence Reduction Team to have a fulsome discussion about the current initiatives and plans.
“The murder is in the early investigative stages, and I’m urging anyone who may have any information about this incident to please share what you know,” said Mr Weeks.
“Please help this young man’s family find some sense of peace and justice. They can call the independent and confidential Crime Stoppers hotline on 800-8477.”
Shadow Minister of National Security, Michael Dunkley, said: “I’m past the point of expressing shock every time I hear of a violent incident involving youth on our island.
“I am angry. I am sad. I think it’s deplorable that another family is forced to endure unnecessary pain.
“We cannot bury our heads in the sand. Family and friends of those committing heinous acts such as this must speak up and hold them accountable. We must commit to social responsibility — our community is depending on it.”
Area MP Lovitta Foggo called on area residents to assist police with this latest murder investigation.
“The best way to do that is to stand as one as a community,” said Ms Foggo.
“We fully support the police in their efforts to bring the criminals to justice.
“As a community — which is a very peaceful community — we will do what we need to do to ensure that our community remains quiet, calm and, as much as we can, crime-free.”
Top Feature Photo Courtesy of the Bermuda Police Service