The Bermuda Police Service has refuted claims that it took emergency responders 15 minutes to get to that reported disturbance in St George’s from the Southside Police Station in St David’s.

A spokesman said tonight: “Contrary to statements made today, the Bermuda Police Service can report that the first call about the disturbance on Water Street on 21st April was received at 1:06pm. The call was dispatched at 1:08pm and the first police unit arrived three minutes later at 1:11pm.”

On arrival he said, the officers found that the combatants had already left the area. “After conducting further enquiries we believe that two male family members, who have since been identified, were involved in a physical dispute.

“It now appears that the other men that got involved were attempting to stop the scuffle. There were no serious injuries reported and police continue making enquiries into the matter,” he added.

Earlier today, Progressive Labour Party Senator Renee Ming added her voice to the call for a heavier police presence and improved CCTV surveillance in St George’s.

The Shadow Minister of Municipalities questioned the length of police emergency response times to incidents reported in St George’s from the station at Southside.

Senator Ming also labeled the recent attack to rob a man using an ATM in broad daylight, in addition to other violent robberies and assaults represent “a frightening escalation of lawlessness down at the East End.

“With promises of a fully operational, fully staffed police station and the introduction of CCTV throughout the town remaining unkept, St Georgians are wondering if there will be any action to improve safety and security within St George’s,” Sen Ming said.

“The numerous incidents in and around St George’s over the past few weeks are a clear sign that the current approach simply isn’t working and as a result, criminals are getting bolder. The level of responsiveness of the Police Service to the needs of St George’s is also being questioned,” she added.

“For law and order to be restored, more visible, regular and consistent foot patrols are required throughout the day and evening. CCTV systems must be fully implemented and manned and more attention must be paid to the safety and security needs of St George’s.”

Recent incidents include another two East End robberies and the attempted robbery of taxi drivers, an assault on two male guest house workers by three to four men, and the theft of cash and damage to ten buses parked at the St George’s bus terminal.

To date, no charges have been laid in connection with any of these incidents. Meanwhile, witness to that incident Water Street last Friday are urged to contact the Criminal Investigations Department on 247-1744.