A 21-year-old Pembroke man has turned himself in to police and was arrested in connection with a shooting incident outside the Bermy Cuisine on Wednesday.
Speaking at a news conference this week, Detective Inspector Jason Smith said police executed a firearms warrant at 5pm on Thursday at a Pembroke home in connection with the shooting incident.
They were looking for a man detectives wanted to speak with, who was not at the property when the warrant was executed.
But that “person of interest” turned himself in at Hamilton Police Station around 9am on Friday, where he was promptly arrested and remains in custody.
Mr Smith also stated that the drive-by shooting was a “very targeted” attack with “some element of gang activity”.
The two men targeted both escaped injury, when a lone gunman riding a motorcycle fired at them.
The victims were followed as they left the Bermy Cuisine diner on Serpentine Road in a work truck at 1pm.
While Mr Smith would not say whether or not they were known to the police, he did say that officers had spoken to them.
While noting that Wednesday’s incident was “alarming”, Police Commissioner Darrin Simons said the number of shooting incidents this year was significantly down when compared to last year.
There were 28 firearms incidents and nine murders in 2022, compared with seven firearms incidents and two murders so far this year.
“I appreciate we’re not yet at the end of the year, but that represents a significant reduction — but ‘zero’ is the number we want to get to,” said Mr Simons.
“In spite of this alarming incident, the response from our community with this investigation has been very encouraging.
“The information provided by caring members of our community has directly led to an arrest in this matter,“ he added.
“This is a testament to what happens when the community and the police work hand-in-hand.
“I would like to take this opportunity to thank members of the community for the support they’ve given us thus far. I know they will continue to give us as this matter progresses.”
Mr Smith noted that several eyewitnesses to the attack had helped police, in addition to residents provided police with CCTV footage.
“The investigation is very active, and we are continuing to pursue lines of inquiry in particular as public assistance continues to come in,“ he said.
“I want to thank the community for your support. I think this is a fine example of when the community works together with the police — we can help to bring resolution and peace and tranquillity to our island.”