News Release: HAMILTON, Bermuda – The Ministry of Social Development and Seniors joined the global observance of ‘World Senior Citizens Day’ today on August 21st, 2021.
The Minister of Social Development and Seniors, Tinée Furbert, expressed: “Due to the effects of the pandemic, we have not been able to partake in our annual senior teas, or regular seniors activities, however we want to use World Senior Citizens Day (established by the United States), as an opportunity to celebrate our seniors.
“Bermuda’s foundation is a result of the passion, sacrifice, and love of our seniors, and they deserve the world of gratitude and more!
“Their accomplishments, dedication, and experiences are truly an example of resilience, and they serve as role models for younger generations due to the immense wisdom they possess.
“Although seniors day should be today and every day, I want us to take this opportunity, on World Senior Citizens Day, and on the days moving forward, to honor our seniors by:
● Giving our senior loved ones a call or video chat if they are tech-savvy
● Spending time with them and reaffirming how much they are appreciated
● Arranging a picnic with them and listening to their stories of the past
● Starting a memory book by asking them questions about their lives and;
● Having your children create greeting cards to drop off at local nursing homes
Minister Furbert concluded: “Bermuda, we look forward to celebrating Senior Citizens Week during the first week of July 2022, July 4th – 8th with Senior Citizens Day on Saturday, July 9th.”