News Release: Hamilton, Bermuda – On Wednesday evening, July 17, the Ministry of Education hosted a Scholarship and Awards reception to honour and congratulate the 49 recipients of the 2019 Government Scholarship and Award offerings.
These scholarship and awards opportunities are funded through the Ministry of Education, to provide public school students in Bermuda with the proper funding through which they can pursue higher education. These offerings are intended to demonstrate the Ministry’s commitment towards education, and ultimately encourage Bermuda’s students to attend college and university. Earlier this year, a new Government scholarship opportunity was added to the list when the College Promise Programme was announced. This initiative provides free tuition to the Bermuda College to any Bermuda Public School System graduating senior with an appropriate GPA.
Minister of Education Diallo Rabain commented saying: “Education is and will continue to be a top priority for this Government and an undeniable part of the continued development and success of Bermuda. We recognize the importance of providing our people with opportunity and will make no apologies for doing so.”
The Minister continued: “Tonight’s honourees have successfully taken the first steps towards their educational journeys. Tonight, we recognize their persistence and commitment to their futures. I am proud to say that our honourees represent some of the best and the brightest that Bermuda has to offer.”
The Minister also extended his gratitude to the Scholarship and Awards Committee, and the Ministry and Department of Education public officers who have contributed towards the success of this scholarship and award season.
Complete information regarding the Government’s scholarship offerings can be found at www.bermudascholarships.com.
A list of the scholarship and awards opportunities celebrated was also provided:
- Bermuda Government Scholarship – For graduating senior school students or current college or university students (aged 16-25 on August 1st, 2019) for post-secondary education. Scholarship value is up to $35,000 towards the cost of tuition and basic accommodation
- Teacher Education Scholarship – For current college or university students with sophomore standing for study of selected subjects and/or areas of teaching need in the Bermuda Public School System. Must demonstrate financial need. Scholarship value is $20,000
- Non-Traditional Student Award – For mature (aged 35 or over) college or university students for continued post-secondary study. Must demonstrate financial need. Award value is $20,000
- Further Education Award – For current college or university students with sophomore standing for continued post-secondary study. Must demonstrate financial need. Award value is $10,000
- Minister’s Achievement Scholarship – For graduating public school students for overseas post-secondary study. Scholarship value is $25,000
- Minister’s Exceptional Student Award – For graduating students or school leavers with disabilities for local or overseas post-secondary study. Must demonstrate financial need. Award value is $5,000 for local and $25,000 for overseas study
- Minister’s Applied Technology Scholarship – For students enrolled in the Dual Enrolment Programme with the Bermuda College and will be continuing their education there. Must be enrolled in the Applied Technology Programme. Scholarship value is $5,000
- Minister’s Technical and Vocational Award – For graduating public school students or recent public school alumni (aged 25 or under on September 1st, 2019) attending Bermuda College for local or overseas post-secondary study. Must have a strong interest in technical and vocational studies. Must demonstrate financial need. Award value is $5,000 for local and $25,000 for overseas study
- Minister’s Bermuda College Book Award – For Bermuda College students who require financial support to purchase books. These are one-time awards for students enrolled in degree programmes at Bermuda College. Award value is $500