Minister of Government Reform, Lovitta Foggo has released the 2017 Environmental Statistics Compendium from the Department of Statistics.
The Minister explained: “The Compendium is structured into thirteen sections and contains brief analyses, tables and graphs for each section. There are more than 40 statistical tables which provide a wealth of data about Bermuda’s environmental conditions. This publication is an excellent tool for research, school projects and promoting awareness about issues affecting Bermuda’s environment.”
Some of the 2015 to 2016 highlights include:
- The number of reported environmentally-related diseases decreased by 6.3% from 6,283 to 5,884.
- The amount of rainfall increased by 26.11% from 56.76 inches to 71.58 inches.
- Total fish landings including bait and shellfish, totalled 394.03 metric tonnes, a decrease of 2.05% from the previous year.
- The number of fires increased 8.43% from 1,875 to 2,033.
- Year-over-year importation of pesticides and fertilizers increased by 18.70% and 14.25%, respectively.
- Bermuda exported 600,000 pounds of hazardous waste, similar to the previous year.
PDF copies of the 2017 Environmental Statistics Compendium are available online at www.gov.bm/bermuda-social-statistics.