News Release: Hamilton, Bermuda – Minister of Labour, Community Affairs and Sports, Lovitta Foggo hosted several hundred seniors for the annual Seniors’ Tea on Wednesday (February 13).
Minister Foggo said she “took great delight” in welcoming the capacity crowd at the Fairmont Southampton, calling the event one of the “highlights on the Government’s calendar.”
In addressing the group, Minister Foggo said: “Our Seniors’ Tea has always been a popular highlight on the Government’s calendar of events, and I can’t begin to tell you how thrilling it is to join you today. Today serves as an opportune time for the Government to thank you for your contribution to our society.
“You should know that the needs of our seniors are of paramount concern to us. For our part, this Government remains committed to ensuring that all our seniors in Bermuda have access to the services needed to ensure they have comfortable and fulfilling lives during their golden years.
“You are the essence of our community and Bermuda is a better place because of your sacrifice and commitment. On behalf of the Ministry of Labour, Community Affairs and Sports, thank you once again for your contribution to this society. You are heroes to us all and I wish you continued prosperity well into the years ahead.”
The Minister also recognized the various seniors clubs in Bermuda and thanked them for providing an environment for our seniors to socialize as a community which adds to an enrichment of their lives.
Those honoured today included:
- Esther Bean – Special People’s Club
- Marva Bridgewater -Joy Club
- Myra Bristol – 50 Plus Social Club
- Beryl Broadley and Betty D. Reid – St George’s Seasons Seniors
- Betty Brown – RAA Senior’s Club St George’s Seasons Seniors
- George Burt – Dept. of Comm. & Cultural Affairs
- Garline Butterfield – First Church of God – Angle Street
- Hattie Ann Gilbert – Young at Heart
- Pamela Greyson – Devonshire Seniors Circle Club
- Vera Johnston – Sunshine Seniors Club
- Sherlyn Jones – Blessed Seniors Fellowship
- Cheryl King – Each One Teach One
- Sylvia Lightbourne – Golden Hour\
- Helen Mateen – Special People’s Club
- Myrtle Perinchief – Young At Heart
- Bette Richardson – Mt. Zion Senior’s Circle
- Joan Robinson – Sunshine Seniors Club
- Mary Smith – Smiling Glee
- Marlene Smith – BPSU
- Donna Thomas – Fifty Plus Social Club
- Esme Williams – BIU Seniors
- Melba Wilson – Happy Seniors
- Wilma Yearwood – First Church of God – Angle Street
As a note, students from the various public and private schools were on hand to serve seniors at the tea.