Minister of National Security, Wayne Caines issued a statement today confirming the recent seizure of contraband at Westgate Correctional Facility, and an assault against a prison officer that resulted in minor injuries.
“As I indicated in recent statements, the public will be aware that the Ministry has been working with the Department of Corrections’ leadership to increase the security measures at our corrections facilities,” said Mr Caines.
“As a result of the enhanced security protocols, I can confirm that contraband has been seized.
“Also, there was recently an assault against a Corrections Officer which resulted in minor injuries to the officer.
“The Bermuda Police Service are investigating both matters in conjunction with the Department of Corrections. These offenses will be addressed internally and through the courts,” he added.
The Minister also commended “the Officers at the Department of Corrections and the Bermuda Police Service for their steadfast and diligent service”.
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)