News Release: Hamilton, Bermuda – The Minister of National Security, Wayne Caines is advising the public of the following update from the Department of Immigration.

Minister Caines said today: “The processing of existing applications has resumed with a reduced workforce under social distancing conditions to enable the Department to return to normal functioning as soon as is possible.

“Emergency passports needed for medical purposes are also being addressed.”

Minister Caines added: “A plan has been prepared for the processing of new applications once the Government Offices officially re-open. At this time, applications cannot be submitted to the Department of Immigration.

“Visitors who require an extension of stay in Bermuda will not be penalized for overstaying. Once the Department officially re-opens, further instructions for requesting an extension of stay will be provided to all affected persons.

“For Emergency Passports (Medical only) – applicants should contact the Assistant Chief Immigration Officer (

For Work Permits Applications:

  • New & Renewals – can be submitted once Immigration officially re-opens
  • Late/Already Expired – can be submitted once Immigration officially re-opens; each application will be considered on its own merits, pursuant to our Work Permit Policies (penalties and late fees may apply)
  • Continuance of Work – employers should contact the Chief Immigration Officer, Dr. Danette Ming ( or the Assistant Chief Immigration Officer, Ms. Marita Grimes (

“For Residency Applications, land licences, Permanent Resident’s Certificates, Bermudian Status, Naturalisation, Spousal letters, etc. – these can be submitted once Immigration officially re-opens.

“We have heard the requests from key stakeholders and wish to allay concerns by confirming that applications which were submitted prior to/on March 18, 2020, are being given priority.

“With respect to these applications, employers and/or applicants will be contacted after the Government Offices officially re-open

“I also want to remind employers and work permit holders that permit holders cannot work without a work permit or perform duties outside the scope of their work permit, unless the Minister for Immigration grants approval.

“The public is advised that for general inquiries, they can contact the Chief Immigration Officer ( or the Assistant Chief Immigration Officer (”

  • Top Feature Photo Courtesy of TNN