News Release HAMILTON, Bermuda = The Bermuda Government is committed to developing talent to fill critical roles at all levels in the Public Service.
This has been demonstrated by the Summer Employment Programme which introduces young people to the Service to enable the exploration of the wide array of career options. Additionally, the Government’s Leadership Development Programme is designed to develop talent within the Service and the Public Service Bursary Award Scheme promotes the public service career aspirations of Bermudians in areas often difficult to fill.
Last week (Aug. 9), six (6) young Bermudians were the recipients of the Bermuda Government’s Bursary Awards 2023. This year’s Bursary Awards recipients come from the healthcare, planning and estate surveying fields. These recipients will gain access to mentorship opportunities, networking events, and resources designed to enhance their educational journey and personal growth.
As the public is aware, the Bursary Awards identifies qualified individuals who will meet the future needs of Government Departments. This in turn ensures a well-trained cadre of public officers within the Public Service.
“We remain committed to attracting and developing the best and brightest talent in Bermuda, and this year we are delighted to celebrate all our Bursary Awards recipients,” said Acting Minister of Tourism and the Cabinet Office Wayne Furbert.
“The Bermuda Government’s Bursary Awards programme continues to make a meaningful impact by providing funding and recognition to exceptional individuals who have demonstrated dedication, determination, and potential in their chosen academic pursuits.
“For more than 20 years, this has proven to be a successful Government training and development programme. And we take immense pride in being able to shape the next generation of certified and qualified public servants.”
This year’s awardees are as follows:
- Ms. Chioma Lawrence is currently enrolled in a Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Adult Nursing programme at Buckinghamshire New University in the United Kingdom and is expected to graduate July 2025.
- Ms. Zyon Minors is currently enrolled in a Bachelor of Science in Nursing program at the University of North Carolina-Greensboro and is expected to complete her studies in May 2026.
- Ms. Alaysia Swan is currently enrolled in a Pre-Nursing programme at Delaware State University in the United States and plans to earn a Bachelor of Science in Nursing and is expected to complete her studies in May 2026.
- Ms. Dejhah Burgess-Simons is currently enrolled in a Bachelor of Science in Adult Nursing programme at the University of Northampton in the United Kingdom and is due to complete her studies in September 2025.
- Mr. Joshua Gilbert is currently enrolled in a Bachelor of Science (Hons) Dental Hygiene programme at the London South Bank University in the United Kingdom and is expected to graduate June 2026. Mr. Gilbert has the ultimate goal of becoming a General Dentist.
- Ms. Keanna Gooden is currently enrolled in a Master’s Degree Programme in Real Estate Management from University of Salford.
In addition, Ms. Danielle Foote (2022 Bursary recipient), just completed her Bachelor’s degree in Architecture from Savannah College of Art & Design and will begin working as a Trainee Assistant Planner with the Department of Planning in September.
Bursaries are valued at $20,000 per year for a period not exceeding five (5) years. To be considered for a Bursary Award, applicants must:
- Be Bermudian;
- Have completed no less than 5 years of schooling in Bermuda;
- Be 40 years of age or under, at date of application;
- Have been accepted into an institution of higher learning or currently undertaking courses leading to a professional, specialist or technical qualification required within the Public Service;
- Be in an Undergraduate or Master’s Degree programme; and
- Be planning a career in the Public Service upon completion of their education.
Photo: 2023 Bursary Awardees L to R: Dejhah Burgess-Simons, Zyon Minors, Alaysia Swan, Danielle Foote, Keanna Gooden and Joshua Gilbert.