A Belco spokesman said today that the fresh set of power outages overnight were caused by salt deposits left by Hurricane Humberto.
“A number of pole fires” occurred last night (Monday) he said. “This knocked out power to some who had already been restored.”
“There was “nothing extraordinary” about the number of outages that had been reported in Warwick,” he added.
The number of power outages fluctuated as Belco crews continued to work to repair damage caused by last week’s Category 3 hurricane.
As of 9pm Monday night, 2,733 customers remained without power. The largest area affected was Pembroke, with 520 outages.
Another update will be provided later today.