Circumstances described as ‘disturbing’ are now under review by the Disciplinary Committee of the Bermuda Football Association after Southampton Rangers coach Jomar Wilkinson was knocked unconscious by one of his own players on Sunday. (March 1).

The Premier Division relegation match at Somerset Cricket Club between hosts Somerset Trojans and Rangers was ultimately abandoned, when an all-out brawl broke out on the field between Rangers’ team members.

Referee Tashun Simons halted proceedings in the 65th minute of the match after an initial standoff between two Rangers team-mates.

That dispute flared up, which resulted in one of the players being substituted and escalated when Rangers fans rushed onto the field to get involved.

Several eyewitnesses saw the coach suffer a blow to the head as he tried to break up the fight.

He was taken to the hospital’s Emergency Department for observation.

In a statement released on Monday, the BFA urged member clubs to “refrain from sinking to the levels of disregard for the game”.

They also confirmed that the matter was referred to the BFA’s Disciplinary Committee.

The statement: The Bermuda Football Association is aware of the unfortunate and very disturbing events that led to the abandonment of the Premier Division match between Somerset Trojans and Southampton Rangers at the Somerset Cricket Club yesterday, March 1.

Reports from the BFA Referees and Match Commissioner will be submitted and we await additional reports from the participating clubs. “The matter will be referred to the BFA Disciplinary Committee for review and decision regarding those culpable for the incident as well as a ruling on the outcome of the match.

No further comments regarding the outcome of the incident will be made at this time.

The BFA Executive Council wishes to remind all clubs, players, officials and fans that we must refrain from sinking to the levels of disregard for the game as was demonstrated during yesterday’s match.

We must respect the principles of fair play and team spirit which is the hallmark of our great sport.” The incident was sparked by a heated argument involving Davis about who would take a penalty that Rangers were awarded after Somerset handled in their area.

The argument lasted close to ten minutes before Davis converted the penalty to put Rangers 1-0 ahead.

According to eyewitnesses, Rangers fans were upset by Davis’s behaviour and demanded Wilkinson substitute the player, which he promptly acted upon.

However, while Davis was making his way off the field he became involved with another argument with substitute Astwood. It is alleged that Davis aimed a punch towards Astwood which struck Wilkinson instead, rendering him unconscious.

No official word yet from Southampton Rangers officials on this incident.
  • Top Feature Photo Courtesy of TNN