News Release: HAMILTON, Bermuda – The Government of Bermuda London Office wishes to advise Bermudians in the United Kingdom that whilst the are in place, the ability to travel abroad is restricted only to those with a legally permitted reason. From March 2021, all travellers departing England for Bermuda must complete a declaration form to confirm that they are outside of their home to travel abroad for a legally permitted reason.
The form is available via:
You may be required to present this declaration and to provide evidence to support your reason for travel at your place of departure. In accordance with UK regulations, failure to provide proof of a legally permitted reason to travel is an offence for which you may be fined.
Those under 18 do not need to complete the form. The accompanying adult must complete a separate form on their behalf.
It is advisable to print a copy of the completed form or save it to a mobile phone or other device. Please ensure your mobile devices are charged.
Legally permitted reasons for international travel include:
· Essential travel for business or official work purposes where it is not reasonably possible to complete that work from home
Recommended evidence: employer’s letter, professional ID card, confirmation from sports body or evidence of participation, diplomatic mission letter, etc.
· Where it is not reasonably possible to volunteer from home.
Recommended evidence: letter from relevant organisation
· For academic studies or professional qualifications where physical presence is required or where activities must be completed overseas. This includes international students returning home.
Recommended evidence: letter or proof of membership of an academic institution.
Medical or Compassionate Grounds
· to visit someone who is dying or critically ill
· maternity services, or to be with someone who is giving birth, or with a baby receiving neonatal critical care
· medical treatment or emergency which cannot be reasonably received in the UK or to accompany a person where necessary
· to avoid injury or illness or escape risk of harm (such as domestic abuse)
Recommended evidence: medical evidence describing the situation of the member of your household/close family member/a friend who is receiving treatment in hospital or whose condition is life-threatening, proof of scheduled treatment, death certificate, letter from social services, proof of hospital admission, proof of family relationship.
Weddings, funerals and related events
· To attend a wedding of a family member, to attend a funeral or event related to death, to visit a burial ground or remembrance.
Recommended evidence: letter, invitation.
Other permitted reasons
- to fulfil legal obligations
- to carry out activities related to buying, selling, letting or renting a residential property
- travel in order to exercise custody rights recognised by a court decision
- order to present oneself to a judicial or administrative authority
Recommended evidence: proof of contract, court decision and proof of place of residence, order to present oneself to a judicial or administrative authority, expiring residence permit, dismissal notice, etc.