New York Daily News: By David Matthews – Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin was released from the hospital Monday, a week after he suffered a cardiac arrest and collapsed on the field during Monday Night Football.

University of Cincinnati Health Center physicians said Hamlin flew back to Buffalo this morning.

“Mr Hamlin has been released and returned to Buffalo. I travelled with him to the airport this morning with our UC Health air care and mobile care crew, including teammates who were with us on the field when Mr. Hamlin collapsed,” Dr William Knight, emergency medicine director, said in a video news conference.

“I can confirm he is doing well and this is the beginning of the next stage of his recovery,” he continued.

While pleased with Hamlin’s progress, Dr Knight cautioned it’s “entirely too premature” to discuss when or if he will play again. “It’s that we’re really focused on his day-to-day recovery,” he said.

Knight said the next step would be observing Hamlin “to ensure that there is no impact from the flight on his condition or on his lungs.”

He is currently in a Buffalo hospital, the doctor added.

On Jan. 2, in the first quarter of a game between the Bills and Bengals at Paycor Stadium Hamlin, 24, suffered a cardiac arrest after tackling Tee Higgins. He received CPR for several minutes before he was rushed to the hospital by ambulance.

The game was postponed and canceled outright later that week. However, the teams could face each other again in the playoffs if both win this weekend.

Signs sit along a fence outside UC Medical Center where Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamiln was hospitalized, Thursday, Jan. 5, 2023, in Cincinnati.
Signs sit along a fence outside UC Medical Center where Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamiln was hospitalized, Thursday, Jan 5, 2023, in Cincinnati – Joshua A. Bickel/AP

Hamlin’s release comes a day after tributes poured in for him around the NFL, with players wearing “Love for Damar” t-shirts before and after games. Following the Bills’ win over the New England Patriots, wide receiver John Brown gave a game ball to assistant athletic trainer Denny Kellington, who performed CPR on Hamlin on the field and has been credited with saving his life.

Hamlin tweeted Monday afternoon about his status.

“Headed home to Buffalo today with a lot of love on my heart,” he wrote. “Watching the world come together around me on Sunday was truly an amazing feeling. The same love you all have shown me is the same love that I plan to put back into the world and more. Bigger than football!”

Top Feature Photo: Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin (3) runs off the field after an NFL football game against the Chicago Bears, Saturday, Dec 24, 2022, in Chicago – Kamil Krzaczynski/AP