Three people are in the hospital’s Intensive Care Unit on Easter Sunday, one in critical condition, with two listed as stable.
Premier David Burt provided the update via Twitter last night, after the Health Ministry’s latest update.
He also said that three persons who were previously hospitalised have been discharged from the hospital.
“There are eight (8) total persons currently hospitalized with COVID-19 (one more person admitted since the news conference on Thursday).
“Of the two (2) new positive cases, one was an imported case (cruise ship) and one was a contact of a previously confirmed case,” he said.
As of Saturday (April 11) the number of COVID-19 cases hit the 50 mark.
Health Minister Kim Wilson said 28 people who contracted the virus had recovered.
“The good news is that three persons who were previously hospitalised, have now been discharged from hospital, giving us all hope that recovery can be possible,” said Ms Wilson.
Since Thursday, she said the ministry received 47 test results – 45 of them came back negative.
The age of COVID-19 patients in hospital range from 58 to 78-years-old, the average age was 68.
“Out of the 50 positive cases confirmed to date, 28 are males, and 22 are females,” said Ms Wilson.
“A review of our overall testing numbers show that to date, out of the 401 tests which have been conducted 50 were positive, and 351 were negative.”
With one patient who contracted the virus while in a rest home, regulations for residential care and nursing homes will be amended to ban staff from working at multiple sites to cut the risk of COVID-19,
“We hope this will further safeguard our residents from COVID-19 by eliminating any potential transfer of the disease among the different long-term care homes by unknowing staff members.
“Further, the country’s testing capacity will continue to prioritize rest homes and other high risk persons.
“Additionally, I can confirm that today a thorough deep cleaning commenced of several of our long-term care facilities.”
She also appealed to the public not to publicise sensitive information about seniors in rest homes.
“It came to my attention yesterday that individuals are circulating sensitive information regarding their elders who reside in care homes, specifically their COVID-19 status.
“This was really disheartening to hear as these residents have the right to have their privacy and dignity respected at all times.
“Their health condition is confidential. Our elders, though they may be our family, have rights too. These rights are to be respected,” she said.
Meanwhile, the Bermuda Community Foundation donated computer tablets to care homes to facilitate “tele-health compliance monitoring” to reduce foot traffic in them.
“In mid-March, monitoring of all care homes commenced through daily telephone calls from Ministry staff to each facility and daily reports were produced reflecting the responses, concerns and most pressing needs.
“This has now been replaced by an electronic form and reporting system.
“Care home administrators underwent COVID-19 preparedness training in early March to ensure that prevention measures were being taken to stop respiratory germs from entering the facilities and from spreading within the facilities.”
Care homes had followed strict COVID-19 rules two months before Bermuda had its first case and staff had met health officials on a regular basis, she added.
She also thanked residents for following shelter in place guidelines.
“I want to thank the majority of our residents for adhering to the sheltering in place guidelines and also to urge those who may not be as compliant to please remember that what may be a minor inconvenience for you, may be saving the life of your neighbor, grandmother, friend, or even your own,” said Ms Wilson.
“Stay inside and stay safe, Bermuda.”
- Top Feature Photo Courtesy of TNN