Only two new cases of COVID-19 were confirmed in the latest round of tests received by the Ministry of Health as the number of active cases dropped down to 136 – the lowest number of active cases since the 113 cases on March 23.
Speaking at the latest COVID-19 briefing last night, Health Minister Kim Wilson said there are still nine people in hospital battling the coronavirus, with two patients in the Intensive Care Unit.
Premier David Burt said: “Due to our collective efforts we have seen our positive case numbers steadily decrease, and local transmission begin to significantly slow.
“We are just about at 50 percent of our entire population being fully immunised, and we have already implemented stronger protections at our borders which will be strengthened in the coming weeks.
“We are doing what is necessary today, for a normal future tomorrow.”
To date, the Minister said 48 percent of the island’s population had full immunisation. Another six percent have received one dose of the vaccine.
· 73 percent of those aged 80 or older were now fully vaccinated and a further seven per cent had had one dose
· 69 percent of 65- to 79-year-olds had full vaccination and six per cent had had one dose
· 61 percent of 50- to 64-year-olds had been given both jabs and seven per cent had had one dose and
· 34 percent of 16- to 49-year-olds were fully vaccinated and seven per cent had had one dose.