The Ministry of Community and Cultural Affairs recently acknowledged the groups behind the winning entries of floats in the 2019 Bermuda Day Parade in celebration of ‘Bermudian Excellence’.
The top prize went to the Portuguese Association and Vasco Da Gama Club in the Natural Heritage Float Category for its design depicting traditional Portuguese life. The were presented with the LCCA Award for Best Charity Float.
The Department of Community and Cultural Affairs took second place honours and CedarBridge Academy’s float placed third in the Natural Heritage Category.
The award for first place in the Art Float Category went to the City of Hamilton, Lotus Mind Body Wellness placed second and Cybertips third.
The Upcycled Float winner was Controversy.
Special Awards went to:
- Premier’s Award for Best Float: CedarBridge Academy
- Reggie Ming Award for Most Beautiful Float: Wadson’s Farm
- Minister’s Award for Most Original Float: Controversy
- Ruth Thomas Award for Best Heritage Float: Portuguese Cultural Association in conjunction with Vasco de Gama Club
- Dr Marjorie Bean Award for Best High School Float: CedarBridge Academy
- Mrs JJ Outerbridge Award for Best Individual Float: Anchor Boys Club
- LCCA Award for Best Charity Float: Portuguese Cultural Association in conjunction with Vasco de Gama Club
- Chamber of Commerce Award for Best Corporate Float: a tie between the City of Hamilton and Johns Hopkins
- Best Government Department: Department of Community and Cultural Affairs
Minister of Community and Cultural Affairs, Lovitta Foggo said: “From the dazzling costumes and energy showcased by the various dance groups, to the wonderful display of tradition from the Gombey troupes closing out the parade, it was a fabulous day.
“We want to acknowledge and highlight the float participants who spent many long hours creating remarkable displays of tradition and pageantry.
“I am very grateful to the judges who had to make some very difficult decisions this year.
“Congratulations to you all and thank you once again for your contributions in making this year’s Bermuda Day Parade another successful and enjoyable occasion.”