- The following opinion was published by Ryan Robinson Perinchief on social media on Saturday, May 16, 2020…
Imagine being an essential government worker on the front lines of this pandemic only to now deal with the added mental stress of hearing government is proposing to reduce your pay by 10% and suspend contributions while the cost of living continues to rise.
All this going on while:
– Hotels ask for the entire Employment Act to be amended to allow them to continue to lay-off workers for more than 4 months without pay;
– Banks engage in a public tit-for-tat on interest rates and essentially laugh in the Premier’s face;
– Billionaires ask for more free land after making a deal so bad an AN ENTIRE COUNTRY HAD TO RAISE ITS DEBT CEILING to pay off the private lenders; and
– Monopolies like BELCO post a three-fold increase in earnings of 4.1 million for the first quarter of this year.
Y’all [sic] still sleep. But do go on, I guess we will wait until we see people dying of abject poverty before we drop this whole “shared sacrifice” facade.
The Bermudian people must understand: you will never get what you deserve, you will get what you demand.