Bermuda’s own World Champion Triathlete, Flora Duffy has swiped another gold medal, in the very first win of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic qualifying period in the 2018 ITU World Triathlon Yokohama in Japan this past weekend – her second consecutive win in Japan.
After a stunning show of high grade fitness on her home turf last month, Ms Duffy said: “Coming after such a high in April from the Commonwealth Games and Bermuda it was definitely a stretch to get here. I am very happy with my race, I often don’t get enough credit for my running, I came off the bike with a group of really strong runners.”
Her latest win puts her at the top of the Series leaderboard in the WTS rankings.
“That is very cool, I was not expecting that today, that was not the goal. It was just to get a good score and set myself up for the Series, but if I am top then I can’t complain,” she added.
The USA’s Katie Zaferes took the silver medal and Britain’s Non Stanford took the bronze.
The Yokohama race was the opening race of the two-year Olympic qualification period.
Duffy finished with the fastest run split of the day at 33:26.
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)