Belco crews will be on standby to respond to any power outages to conduct “repairs as soon as it is safe to do so once the storm has passed”.

A company spokesperson said: “Belco is closely monitoring the approach of Hurricane Teddy.

“Preparations have been made in advance of Hurricane Teddy and Belco crews will be on standby.”

The utility company’s head office on Serpentine Road in Pembroke will be closed today and will reopen at 8:30am on Tuesday.

“The Monday, September 21st discount date will be honoured on Tuesday, September 22nd,” the spokesperson added.

“The Customer Experience team will also be available to take payments over the phone on 299-2800 or assist via email at

“During the storm, residents are encouraged to visit our website at for up to date information. Our storm smart guide can also be downloaded from our website with all info required to stay safe during the storm.”

The company also issued a reminder on the following safety tips:

Downed power lines

Downed power lines pose extreme danger.

  • Stay away from downed power lines – at least 35 feet or more [that’s approximately three car lengths].
  • Always assume downed power lines are energised and dangerous.
  • Stay clear of piles of debris or downed foliage that may conceal live power lines.
  • Do not run from a fallen line. Running from a fallen line may cause your legs to bridge current from higher to lower voltage and you may receive a shock. Instead, keep your legs together and shuffle away with both feet on the ground. Shuffle a safe distance [35 feet or more] away from other utility poles.


Generators are extremely useful tools, but they can also be extremely dangerous if not used correctly.

  • Carbon monoxide fumes emitted by a generator’s exhaust cannot be smelled or seen and can be fatal. Never operate a generator in any part of your home or indoor space, regardless of whether there are open windows. Use a generator or other gasoline-powered machinery outdoors only and away from windows.
  • Connecting your generator directly into your home power supply could energise the outside power lines and electrocute an unwary utility worker. If you must connect the generator through the house wiring to power appliances, use a qualified and licensed electrician to install an appropriate power transfer switch.
  • Never store fuel for your generator in your house, and do not store fuel near a fuel-burning appliance such as a stove or water heater. Before refuelling a generator, turn it off and let it cool down. Gasoline spilt on a hot engine can ignite.

Overloaded Electrical Outlets

Overloaded electrical outlets or extension cords pose a serious fire risk.

  • Never overload your electrical outlets. Overloaded outlets are one of the main causes of electrical fires, especially during and after a major storm when systems are more fragile.

Unplug Sensitive Electronic Equipment

Unplug any appliance, electronics or other sensitive equipment before the onset of high winds.

  • While plug-in surge protectors protect against common, small surges, unplugging is the safest bet for lightning surges that may occur during a storm.

Stay off the roads

Clear roads are an important part of a safe recovery in the aftermath of a major storm.

  • “Never go sightseeing during or immediately after a storm. You risk your life as well as the lives of people who may try to help you should you get into trouble. You will also hamper the work of emergency crews and first responders.

Water Damage

Water damaged electrical appliances or wiring are extremely dangerous.

  • Never touch electrical equipment if it is wet or if you are standing in water. If it is safe to do so, turn off electricity at the main breaker or fuse box to prevent electrical shock.
  • Never use electrical appliances that have been wet. Water can damage the motors in electrical appliances, such as freezers, refrigerators, washing machines and dryers. For those that have been under water, have them repaired by a qualified electrician before use.
  • Wiring that has become wet or damaged during a major storm cannot be safely reused, even it appears to have completely dried. It must be replaced. Identify any wiring that was under water or dampened. If the water did not reach all levels of a building, wiring that was not wet may still be safely used. Have a qualified electrician inspect any suspect electrical appliances or wiring before use.