News Release: HAMILTON, Bermuda – “This was an excellent start to addressing the challenge an ageing population will bring to Bermuda”, said Minister Hayward following the recent round table discussion on the topic.
The discussion entitled “Addressing the Challenge of an Ageing Population in Bermuda” and hosted by the Minister of Economy and Labour, Jason Hayward, aired live on Facebook, YouTube and CITV on September 29.
Moderated by Mrs Ianthia Simmons-Wade, MP, the expert panellists included:
- Dr Claudette Fleming – Executive Director, Age Concern Bermuda;
- Mr Craig Simmons – Senior Lecturer, Bermuda College and Economist;
- Mr Steve Woodward – Managing Director, KPMG;
- Dr Ricky Braithwaite – CEO, Bermuda Health Council; and
- Mrs Mercedes Pringle-DeSilva – Operations Manager, Age Concern Bermuda.
Minister Hayward continued: “I sincerely thank and appreciate the panel that joined me for this discussion that is vital to the future of our country. The event enabled a holistic approach that contributed to thoughtful discussion, insight and feedback on the problem and possible solutions.”
“We must not underestimate Bermuda’s demographic shift in the coming years and should all do our part and work together to overcome this challenge. To that end, I remain committed to working with stakeholders and doing what is necessary for the people of Bermuda to minimize the implications of an ageing population.”