News Release: Hamilton, Bermuda – The Department of Statistics released the 2018 Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Profile.
The profile shows the core indicators on the use of ICT by businesses with comparisons between 2017 and 2018.
Highlighted below are some of the 2018 year-over-year changes:
- In 2018, the ICT sector accounted for 2.9 percent of Gross Domestic Product in current prices, down from 3.6 percent in 2017
- Capital investment in ICT decreased 12.6 percent from $95 million to $83 million
- Bermuda’s ICT trade deficit narrowed by 13.1 percent and stood at $67.2 million
- The leading use of the internet by businesses was sending or receiving emails (92.8 percent)
- The use of cloud services grew 3.6 percentage points to 52.2 percent
- In 2018, Wi-Fi enabled devices were used by 76.0 percent of businesses in their daily operations up 0.3 percentage points from 2017
- Smartphones were the most commonly used Wi-Fi enabled device at 71.3 percent, an increase of 1.6 percentage points
- Gross median annual income for ICT-related jobs increased 4.4 percent to $83,703 in 2018 and ranked above the economy-wide gross median annual income of $65,338
The 2018 Information and Communication Technology Profile is available online at www.gov.bm/information-and-communications-technology-statistics.